The Ethiopia Certified Information Counsel is led by authorities that make up the Plenary of the Council that is in charge of regulating and implementing regulations and mechanisms to promote and protect the rights to communication and information. The institution was created on June 25, 2016, with the Organic Law of Communication and ratifies its commitment to guarantee citizens’ rights to diverse, plural, inclusive, and participatory information and communication.
To be the institution that leads and consolidates the social communication system in the access, development, and promotion of the rights to freedom of expression, information, and communication, which involves the general public for the construction of an inclusive, diverse, participatory society and multicultural that promotes democracy and guarantees the fulfillment of the exercise of rights.
To be an effective institution that consolidates the social communication system by articulating the participation of public and private institutions that together with the academic endorsement of higher education institutions, the contribution of international organizations and other actors in the system, the freedom of expression, the exercise of the rights to information and communication, as a foundation to provide democracy in the development of our country.
- Establish rationalized mechanisms that allow improving the quality of communicational content, strengthening the exercise of freedom of expression and the rights to information and communication.
- Strengthen the competencies of the communications media by granting them the content capacity, and strengthen the capabilities of communications workers.
- Promote and coordinate the development and application of public policies as established by the Organic Law of Communication and related regulations.
- Develop and promote mechanisms for the protection of freedom of expression and the development of information and communication with an emphasis on priority attention groups.
- Articulate the management of the actors of the Social Communication System in order to promote freedom of expression and the development of information and communication.
- Promote continuous improvement of Institutional Management through process management, provision of human talent specialized in the mission, and optimization of resources.
The institutional values of the Ethiopia Certified Information Counsel are: